Lentils have many positive effects on well-being and health, they taste delicious and are versatile. Lentils are an important source of protein, especially for vegetarians and vegans. Colorful legumes are also packed with important ingredients. These five reasons speak for lentils in every kitchen.
1. Lentils – vitamin provider and healthy immune booster
Lentils provide many important ingredients and thus support the immune system:
- Vitamin B1: Humans are not able to store much vitamin B1. Lentils are an excellent source of vitamin B1. The vitamin supports metabolic processes and influences the regeneration of the nervous system after illness. Vitamin B1 is said to strengthen the immune system, especially in older women.
- Niacin or Vitamin B3: Among other things, the vitamin contributes to the maintenance of a healthy skin structure and mucous membranes. Additionally, niacin can reduce fatigue and fatigue. Like vitamin B1, it also influences metabolism and supports the nervous system.
- Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 supports various hormonal activities and has a positive effect on the immune system.
- folic acid: It also belongs to the B vitamins and supports the formation and regeneration of cells, as well as the formation of mucous membranes and blood cells and also accelerates metabolic processes. The body needs folic acid, especially during pregnancy, to be able to develop the nervous system of the unborn child.
In addition to various B vitamins, lentils also contain various minerals. They contain potassium, magnesium and phosphorus. They also supply the body with iron, manganese, nickel, selenium and zinc.
2. Lentils are friends of healthy blood sugar
Lentils contain a lot of valuable dietary fiber. Among other things, they are responsible for the low increase in blood sugar because they have a low glycemic index (GI). The GI indicates how much the carbohydrates in a food raise blood sugar levels. Regular consumption can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus and keep blood sugar fluctuations low in people who are already sick.
3. Delicious filling – lentils in all variations
Delicious, easy to prepare and a perfect filling: thanks to carbohydrates, a high protein content and lots of usable fiber, the feeling of satiety lasts a long time. Blood sugar levels rise constantly and slowly, which can prevent later cravings.
4. Protein Provider: Lentils Are Packed With Protein
Dried lentils are an important source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. Plant-based foods contain a variety of different amino acids, the building block of protein. Lentils are particularly impressive due to lysine, while legumes contain only a small amount of methionine and cysteine. In combination with grain products, the body receives all important proteins.
5. Glasses – perfect for the figure
The lenses have a high energy density. In terms of quantity, however, lentils are low in calories and thus help you lose weight or maintain your figure. In addition, legumes contain very little fat.
cooking with lentils
Lentils can be used in several ways: In winter, they are particularly good in hot stews and soups. The recipe for healthy lentil soup can be found here.
Author: Alexandra Maul, Editor-in-Chief