Ingredients for 8 servings
- 1 fresh soup chicken (2 to 2.5 kg)
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 8 white peppercorns
- 4 carrots
- ½ celeriac
- 2 leeks
- 175 g Fregola Sarda tostada (small grilled spherical pasta from Sardinia). Also works with other small pasta or pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon butter 8 g salt 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Nutritional values per serving
- Energy: 322 kcal/1352 kJ,
- carbohydrates: 17 g,
- fat: 20 g,
- Protein: 22 g, salt: 1 g.
Recipes and cookbooks for you
- Whether healthy eating, vegetarian and vegan dishes or delicious grilling ideas: we have recipes for every occasion and every taste. You can find our collection of recipes here.
- The cookbooks of Stiftung Warentest should not be missing in any kitchen – including aromatic vegetables, the kitchen laboratory and the side dish. The bookshop on test.de shows you an overview of the wide range.
prepare the chicken. Cut the tails off the chicken and discard them. remove breasts. To do this, cut along the sternum with a sharp knife, fold the meat over and separate it further along the ribs. Set the meat aside clean (see tip below).
Boil in the pot. Place chicken in a saucepan with heatproof potholders. Fill with water to cover all the chicken. Add salt, mushrooms and pepper. Heat on the stove to a maximum of 90 degrees Celsius. Check the temperature with a roasting thermometer.
Point: You can find good cooking pots with our current cooking pot test.
Bake for a long time. Set the oven temperature to 110 degrees and put the pan in it. Check the water temperature after an hour, it should be 85 degrees and stay that way. Check every hour. After eight hours, check the doneness: the thigh bones should slide easily.
Pluck and steam the insert. Take the chicken out of the pot and let it cool a bit. Separate the meat from the bones, tear it into small pieces and add it to the broth. Season with salt and pepper. Dice carrots and celery and cook separately with butter and salt. Sauté leeks in butter and soy sauce until al dente. Cook the noodles according to the instructions. Add to soup with vegetables.
With soup chicken, you use an old laying chicken. It has more flavor, fat and firmer meat than broiler chicken. “When the whole chicken is cooked for a long time, free glutamate is produced, i.e. a broth taste,” explains Professor Dr. Guido Ritter. The scientific director of the Food Lab at the Münster University of Applied Sciences developed the test recipe.
We remove the chicken breasts here. They would become tough if cooked for hours, but can then be made into another meal for four people.
Important: Pay attention to hygiene, raw meat can transmit germs (this is how you protect yourself from pathogens).